What is Putlocker?
Putlocker is an online platform where you can stream free movies and TV shows. It has a large database with millions of videos available for you to stream including some of the newest movies in the industry. They have been a leader in the movie streaming industry for over a decade and have recently been battling legal issues, making it difficult for them to remain online for long periods of time.
Is Putlocker Legal?
The first question that comes to mind when you think of free streaming online is whether or not it’s actually legal to use Putlocker. Well, the simple answer is often no. No it’s not legal since Putlocker is considered to be sharing movies and shows without the proper rights to do so. The copyright protections have actually been a leading cause for shutting down so many sites like Putlocker over the years.
Fortunately, there are many websites like Putlocker that are 100% legal. Our list only includes legal streaming options, so you can kick back and enjoy the show without having to worry about a thing. Our list below will help you find legal full length movies and TV series online that you can stream at absolutely no cost.
Why Do You Need More Sites Like Putlocker?
Ever since the internet developed ways to share movies online, people have been seeking ways to find the latest movies for free. Putlocker was the answer, bringing us hundreds of thousands of popular movies and major hits all at no cost. Putlocker movies and TV shows were available for months at a time and out of nowhere, the site would get shut down. Fortunately, they always seemed to find a way to come back online under a different domain name.
The problem with Putlocker constantly changing domain names to stay online is making it increasingly difficult for users to keep track of them. You constantly have to keep searching for more sites like Putlocker while they are down and you never know which domain they will have next, making it difficult to find them once they return.
For that reason, our team has spent lots of time and effort towards locating the very best Putlocker alternatives online. We didn’t just look for free alternatives to Putlocker, we even decided to provide you with 100% legal options only.
We want to kick things off with one of the best free movie streaming sites available – Crackle. This platform is available online, but you can also download the Crackle app for streaming on the go and many smart TVs and streaming sticks allow you to install it as well. With Crackle, you will be able to stream thousands of hot movies and TV series all at no cost. In fact, you don’t even need to create a free account, you can visit the website as a guest and instantly begin streaming the free movies and shows. Crackle is completely legal and is definitely a better way to watch movies and shows. Similar to Putlocker, you will find big names like Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Liam Neeson and so much more.
- 100% legal movie streaming site
- Stream in high definition and in full screen
- Explore their recommended section to find the biggest hits
- Available online, via the mobile app, on gaming consoles and on smart TVs
- Sign up to create a watchlist and save movies for later
back to menu ↑
Pluto TV is another notable option when searching for websites like Putlocker that focus on web series. It’s the place to be if you’re searching for popular web series online. You’ll find all sorts of internet shows including shows by popular TV celebrities like Jimmy Fallon, Conan O’Brian and more. They have a great selection of live and pre-recorded shows by major networks including famous websites like CNet. Along with tons of web series, you will also find sports channels and a ton of free music streaming options. Pluto TV is entirely free to watch and you don’t even have to create an account in order to begin streaming live episodes, making it one of the top Putlocker alternatives for legal TV streaming online.
- 50+ web series channels to explore
- 100% free to use
- You don’t have to create an account to start streaming
- Web series by popular websites & celebs
- Talk shows, sporting events & music streaming
- Full HD and 4K shows available
back to menu ↑
PopcornFlix is next up on our list of sites like Putlocker. It’s a massive database of free movies that you will truly enjoy watching. One of the best things about PopcornFlix is their user interface, which is sort of similar to Netflix when scrolling through the categories. Found in 1999, they have been in business nearly two decades, making them one of the oldest movie streaming options available. Everything is entirely legal and you will find major blockbusters including The Fighter, Braveheart, Sweeney Todd and so much more. With over 1,500 movies in their database and new movies added regularly, PopcornFlix is the ultimate alternative to Putlocker for legal free movies.
- Over 1,500 movies in their database
- Enjoy streaming movies in HD and in full screen
- Founded in 1999
- Numerous categories to browse including horror, action, comedy and more
- Many Spanish movies are available to stream
back to menu ↑
Tubi TV has been growing for many years and it has now developed into one of the best sites like Putlocker on the internet. You can watch full length free movies in high definition and in full screen from just about any device. Tubi is also available on devices such as Apple TV, Roku and other media streaming devices that can be used along with your television or gaming consoles. Tubi has over 7,400 titles in their catalog allowing you to find all sorts of premium movies and shows that can all be streamed absolutely free of cost. Their partnership with major production companies such as LionsGate, MGM and Paramount make Tubi TV possible.
- Over 7,400 titles in their database
- Partnership with 200+ production companies including LionsGate, MGM & Paramount
- Watch from smart TVs, media streaming devices, gaming consoles & mobile phones
- Major titles including Snitch, Haywire, Wild Card and so much more
- Available to stream in high definition
- 100% free at all times
back to menu ↑
Hulu is often considered as one of the top sites like Putlocker for streaming TV shows online. While they do have a massive collection of free movies to browse, Hulu specializes in bringing you television series from the biggest networks on TV. With Hulu, you will be able to stream shows from large networks including Fox, NBC, ABC and dozens of other networks. You can either choose to gain access to their live streaming option, which lets you access these networks in real time or you can get the basic package that lets you stream all of their back catalog episodes. Nonetheless, new episodes are added just hours after their play on live TV and you can access entire series with all of their previous seasons. Watch shows like This is Us, Law & Order and many other big names on television.
- Hulu costs $7.99 per month
- Access to major TV series with full seasons
- Watch shows from major networks such as Fox, NBC & ABC
- New episodes are added hours after playing on TV
- Unlimited access to hit movies & TV shows
- Full section dedicated to kid shows
- Watch from any device
- No commercials
- Gain access to HBO, ShowTime and CineMax
back to menu ↑
SnagFilms is another one of the websites like Putlocker that you’ll want to bookmark and return to when you’ve got nothing to watch. While their database is much smaller than with the other Putlocker alternatives listed here, SnagFilms is still capable of providing you with tons of quality entertainment available entirely for free. They specialize in underground movies or lesser known titles, which allows them to stream them in complete legality. One of the truly interesting categories available at SnagFilms is the “Before They Were Stars” category, which brings you movies with big names like Ryan Gosselin, Kirsten Dunst and many other celebrities, but the movies were filmed before these actors and actresses became famous.
- Entirely free to use with no signing up required
- Access from many devices including smart TVs
- Lots of lesser known movies, but high quality movies none the less
- “Before They Were Stars” category brings you movies with big name celebs
- Watch in HD and in full screen
- TV shows are also available
back to menu ↑
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video has been one of the most underrated streaming services of the past year. They bring you all sorts of quality movies and TV shows including major Hollywood blockbusters. Whether you’re looking for kids’ television shows or even primetime movies that were recently released, Prime Video has it all. While their database of movies and shows is much smaller than Netflix, it can actually be compared to a streaming service that is similar to Netflix as far as quality and user experience is concerned. Amazon Prime Video is not free, but when you sign up for Amazon Prime, it’s included and you can enjoy it with unlimited use. If there is just one of the sites like Putlocker that’s actually worth paying for, I would say it’s Amazon Prime Video.
- $79 per year (also get all the perks of Amazon Prime membership)
- Enjoy major releases featuring the hottest celebs
- Explore Prime Originals (similar to Netflix Originals)
- Watch on any device & stream on up to 3 devices simultaneously
- Thousands of movies & TV shows available
back to menu ↑
Moving Image Archive
If you’re looking for classic movies and oldies that no longer have copyright protection, the Moving Image Archive is the place to be. Similar to Putlocker, this site brings you a massive database of free movies that you can enjoy without any limitations. However, everything is 100% legal because these are old movies and classics that are no longer protected. Brought to you by Archive.org, the Moving Image Archive has one of the most complete libraries of classic movies online. You can watch the movies directly via their website or you can choose to download them and watch them offline.
- Huge library of classic and older movies
- Download the movies or stream them online
- 100% legal
- 100% free
- Over 4 million titles available to stream
- Enjoy classic television shows, movies, community videos & more